NikosDalarovios

Dalaras together with?

167 posts in this topic

Oso varoun ta sidera... I've heard several versions of this, one way or the other; someone once gave me a very beautiful version by Domna Samniou, which might get onto that compilation I'm contemplating. I don't know Xylouris off-hand but will keep an ear open.

Bellou - I must admit this sounds VERY promising indeed!!!

But, alas, when will I ever be able to compare? Even Radio Thessaloniki is not too likely to throw that song at me in the near future...

Any other candidates?

Someone once suggested Eleni Vitali's rendering of To tragoudi ton gyfton, but recanted...

Oso varoun ta sidera... I've heard several versions of this, one way or the other; someone once gave me a very beautiful version by Domna Samniou, which might get onto that compilation I'm contemplating.

That version by Domna Samiou is  :razz:  :)  :D

Of course Dalaras has a better voice than Xylouris (who hasn't?)

Andreas, who hasn't a better voice than Xylouris?????

Anyway, a matter of taste probably. For me very few people. And even fewer have a more sweet voice than him. Anyway.

Geeske, one song that I think someone sings better than Dalaras is the song 'Ανόητες αγάπες'.

Who is that? I have this song only from the Cd with Pix Lax.

'Ζωντανή ηχογράφηση στην ΙΕΡΑ ΟΔΟ'.

Micki

Nikola, I agree in some ways about Xylouris, I also love his voice, but he has not the same schooled voice that Dalaras has. That was what I meant. Xylouris is probably one of the least schooled singers I know of.

Anyhow, I just remembered that Dalaras makes a very weak presentation of La Bamba on Latin. Frankly, it sucks, and I have never been able to listen to the whole of it before skipping it. Also, I would say that Hiotis/Linda do perform the Hiotis songs from the same album (Latin) better than Dalaras, but that is just my opinion

I don't think anyone answered Geeske's question about the (according to my very individually personal opinion) most overestimated greek singer. keep in mind that something may be overestimated even if it is good or even very good. Anyway, Mr. Kazantzidis was good but as a friend says...."πολύ γκρίνια...." and let me make it: "πολύ γκρίνια ρε γαμώτο"

As far as Hatzidakis is concerned, GD himself has said that his voice fits better Theodorakis songs (which songs by the way made him feel 10 cms taller as he said) but he has also said that he doesn't like his voice (that GD about his own voice). I can't forget though that when I heard him singing Το πέλαγο είναι βαθύ, a whole world changed. And it's probably because they had played right next to Κλαίει η μάνα μου στο μνήμα, so in two songs you had half the history of greek music.

Now, to say that Dalaras's voice does not fit Hatzidakis' music is unfair, not to Dalaras but to Hatzidakis. And let me explain myself. If we agree with the above statement, then we have to agree that Hatzidakis is able to compose only one kind of music, the one that dalaras cannot sing. But Hatzidakis has composed from jazz to λαικά (feel free to use any definition you want). So, the statement is nonsense. Same if as you were to say that Parios' voice does not fit Theodorakis' songs which is nonsense as well because Theodorakis has written some of the most beautiful love songs (with Ο κόσμος ξημερώνει) coming to my mind right away.

So, I assume that what people mean, when they say that GD cannot (or whatever) sing Hatzidakis' songs, is that his vice is very powerful and it cannot describe the emotion and kindness that part of Hatzidakis' music exhibits. And when I the first time I read something like that I thought of "Το τραγούδι της βροχής".....

So, I assume that what people mean, when they say that GD cannot (or whatever) sing Hatzidakis' songs, is that his vice is very powerful and it cannot describe the emotion and kindness that part of Hatzidakis' music exhibits.

Yes, it is almost vicelike... ;)  :D  :D  :D

I like that about you, soc, that when my riddle puzzles the rest of the forum so much that they just ignore it, you answer it without even noticing ;)

Expectations are devilish things, aren't they? People expecting Theodorakis to compose in this one particular way, Hadjidakis in that other particular way, expecting Dalaras to sing this and not that. People forgetting that creative artists seldom stick to one way of doing things, like creative cooks never quite follow the recipe. People forgetting or ignoring what does not conform to the expectation, or, when confronted, getting angry. Sometimes I think nine tenths of all that critics say/write refers, not to what they hear, but to what they expect to hear.

And with the real creators, the many-sided ones, like the above, it just doesn't work to expect anything in particular...

But Hatzidakis has composed from jazz to λαικά
and Dalaras can sing from jazz to λαίκα - so... :D

I think that's it's all a matter of taste and opinion.  We all like and dislike and prefer one from another so if you like Dalaras singing a certain song - fine - if you like another then - fine too.  Personally I like the way he sings most songs but that's just my opinion!

Well, all this is very well but I don't think it tells us yet why there are so few Hadjidakis songs in GD discography.

Any more ideas ?

There are two points in Soc's post which I feel a need to underline :

1. about  Theodorakis' songs "making him (GD) feel 10 cms taller"

What a pleasure to read those words ! It is exactly what I see when he sings Theodorakis or when he sings without playing any instruments : I can see him grow taller!!!!

Could you write his exact words Soc, or give the reference to the interview ?

I would so much enjoy reading the Greek words myself !

2. The next point is about  GD not liking his own voice.

I remember beeing very impressed  by those words when I read them some time ago.

It is not surprising, I think, that he doesn't care for his own voice. We are often unable to fully appreciate what others  like about us.

What really impressed me was that he didn't hesitate to state the fact in an interview.

This could (and probably did) attract unpleasant remarks  considering the number of narrow-minded people walking around and his many detractors, all probably to ready to interpret this as  some kind of "fishing for compliments".

But he just says it.

I interpret this as the behaviour of a man, a genuine man with feet  firmly planted on the ground, face life squarely.

And I like that  ;)

Annemarie,  I posted as you did so I read yours after I had written mine, but I must agree with what you have written I think it shows exactly what sort of man he is ;)  :D  :D

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but Dalaras doesn't sing in a very big range. He usually keeps himself within one and a half (or perhaps even less) octave. Perhaps he wishes to have greater range and hence is a bit unsatisfied with his voice (just a wild guess). I know he has had some problems with the lower register in his early years, you can hear it on his first albums and also this has been discussed in an earlier thread. I have great problems with my lower register and that makes me a bit uneasy about my voice so I could imagine that this can be true for others as well.

Also, there is this strange phenomenon that your own voice sounds different to your own ears than it does to everyone elses ears. Live, I mean, while you are speaking (or singing). I remember, the first time I heard a recording of my own voice, I didn't even recognize it!

On the other hand, I can hardly imagine him being 'uneasy' about his voice - it sounds so utterly assured and reliable, always. But of course I hear only the end result...

Oh, and, Annemarie - he definitely is the πες την αληθεια και μην κλαις  kind, isn't he.

sorry for the lste response Annemerie. his exact words were: I feel I grow 10cms taller, and the reference I think is the little book in the music box

I've been trying to remember if the question has arisen before, but can't, so I'll just ask straight out:

has Dalaras ever done anything together with Eleni Vitali?

I'm discovering - there were things about her (and by her) on the radio, she really is something, that woman, :confused:

And another one: I seem to remember, from a looooong time ago, someone (who will I hope forgive me if I misremembered) mentionning an unholy alliance between Dalaras and Thanassis Papakonstantinou - knowing now what I didn't know then, I would second the motion with loud cheers, clapping and stamping.

Salutations Geeske,

Boy I've been gone for 2 weeks and look how many new postings there are.  I don't think I'm going to find the time to catch up with all of them

However. permit me to try and answer your last reply.

Eleni Vitali participated on Dalaras cd "O Tragoudisths"

back in 1983 I think it was;

and you can her her voice with Dalaras on 3 of the following songs:

1.  'Edo Den Einai Salonikh'

2.  'Tis Makrynes Tis Thalasses'

3.  'Ta Pothria Ths Parhyorias'

and to quote, "Thanassis Papakonstantino"?

I don't know whom that is but I think you are referring

to the Greek Rock Singer Vassilis Papakonstantino from the Attikon Concert?

Geeske is that who you are referring too?

The cd "O Tragoudisths"  I'm pretty sure you have this one only becuase you've made postings on the translations from these songs before.

Hope this helps any mis clerfications or what have you not.  :sarcasm:

Hi Christo, it's good to see you back! ( I thought it was about time - and lucky they didn't keep you, down there in Arizona).

Thanks for the tip about Vitali. I do not know the record "Ο τραγουδιστις"... alas... (but may be able to do something about it, this time next week...)

I've never heard Εδώ δεν είναι Σαλονίκη, though I have meddled with the translation...

As for the Papa's... :confused: I am most definitely not referring to Vasilis Papakonstantinou (not that I'd have any objection if he and Dalaras did sing together again!), but to a reasonnably crazy person whose first name really is Thanassis - what can I say to the forum members about him? Well, to the one who made me discover him, I can say thank you very much... And to all the others: find him and listen :wow:

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead