Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kostas

He is even better in concert?

24 posts in this topic

Someone told me the ather day that it is imposible to find an artist,whoever that might be,that can look and sing better live,that recorded.And that is,she said,because during the recording they use many technological tricks in order to improve the result of the recording.

My reply was,that I know one artist that can sing and perform live,even better than in the record and I told her that I could prove it!She said that whatever I do,her opinion would not change...

So,as you probably understood,I took her to the concert in Vironas the ather day with Dalaras and Thibeos performing!

After the end of the concert she stoud there completely amazed by Goerge!She told me that never before in her life had she seen someone singing live and sound much better that recorded.She never thought she would be thrilled by the performance,even that it is possible to make a hall theatre sing just like that,just because you asked it!

Now she could understand why I am so addicted to his music.

The truth is that Dalaras is a very special perconality.He can stick the crowd together in a magnificent way.He can sing absolutely everything in a uniqe style and can organize a concert better that many!He is not a lifestyle,but he surely is an immitative example of exellency...!

Kosta, myself and many others on this site have expressed the same feelings as yourself about Dalaras being much better vocally live than on C.D.'s......It seems that a recording cannot capture the true vocals and emotions that the live sound has...Much of this of course has to do with Dalarases great range in his voice...The incredible sound and vocals during a Dalaras concert are no accident.Having been backstage and having arrived at the concert hall early in the morning for the set up of equipment and all,i can tell you some key factors to Dalarases sound..Besides the fact that he has an incredible voice,he is an incredible musician and he surrounds himself with other great musicians,Dalaras is a perfectionist...He demands and requests the best high end sound systems ,microphones,lighting available today..He sends to the promoter weeks inadvance a blueprint of the layout of the specific equipment, microphones,speakers,monitors, etc...When they(Dalaras and band) arrive to that city the only things they bring are their stringed instruments and horns...No drums ,keyboards etc..All that is provided by the local companys that do this for a living...Anyway,once they arrive to the city for a concert,they come out to do a sound and lighting check of everything....Dalaras and his engeneers,sound technivians work exteremely hard to make sure the sound is perfect..He demands it and will not stop until it is right..I have seen his band tired and ready to go back to the hotel

feeling that the sound is adequite...Dalaras will not leave or let anyone else leave until he feels it is perfect..This is the kind of backstage things that i observe that tell me how passionate he still is about his music and his sound..One time the show was to start at 9 pm in the evening..Dalaras would not let the theatre open the doors and let the audience in until 8:45 so he can make the final adjustments to the sound.It had to be excellent...He beleaves the fans deserve it...There are numourous stories like this about Dalarases tireless backstage efforts to make the show great.....I have been involved with other concerts as well(Parios,SteliosDionisiou, Angelos dionisiou,Alexiou)and no one works harder or cares more about the sound and lighting than Dalaras.......No one!!!

Sarantiis I didn't know you were involved in the concert business,probably because I just registered in few days ago,but thanks because all these are very interesting.I usually arrive early at a concert too,2 hours before or so,and I have noticed at the backstage preparations how important he things the sound is.I've never been in a concert in wich I was be bugged even for a moment by the sound and the vocals.The fact that he things people deserve it is an ather factor that strengthens the opinion that he is a professional in all means!This is one of the reasons he is loved and admirred in Greece and worldwide.This is the reason he still can,after 30 years in the music scene,overcrowd a stadium or a theatre so easily.His major weapon is his fantastic voice but combined with all of the above,the result is perfect.  

Kosta, I am not a promoter but i have been involved in the greek concert business for the last few years.I do it only because i love music,guitars and just wanted to see how a concert comes together from start to finish..Although my main goal was to somehow meet my music hero"Dalaras"..Well it worked out perfectly for me.I not only have met Dalaras but we have become freinds and we speak on a regular bases.The last time was about two weeks ago when he called me on my cell phone from New York.He was on his way to the airport...Anyway, the whole concert experiense has been wonderful and i have had a chance to meet and spend time with many artists(Dalaras ,Parios,Alexiuo,Katerina Kouka,Stelios Dionisiou,Angelos Dionisiou,etc...)..Out of all of them Dalaras is the only one i was really exited about meeting or cared much about..The rest were OK and i spent lots of time with but Dalaras is" the man".....

and just to add:

a famous quote someone once said
  of why Dalaras sings better on stage then on cd  
   and why he strives for perfection during sound  rehearsal before the concert for his fans expect nothing less and that is
                       because Dalaras is

" a rare breed performer"

No one else I know has come close to that or match it.

He sure is!

Geeske,the deference between live recordings and studio work is very big,but the diference between live recordings and live events is even bigger!That's because in live events the performance is 100% pure and unsensored.At least in Dalaras concerts!(Not that the studio work he does is sensored)

I like live recordings as well by Dalaras but nothing can capture his amazing talents like a live theatre concert...No matter how much you try and capture Dalarases voice on CD or tape,it just seems that it is twice better live....It is amazing and rare that an artists voice is so good live...Most other artists are the other way around .They sound great on recordings and then sound just OK live....

Have to agree here, the power behind his voice is just unbelievable and nothing captures it except to hear it live.

I think it is also because of Dalaras's magnetisium on stage that he sounds so much better - he has the audience eating out of his hands!!!

...or sound terrible!I remember a Cypriot friend of mine told me that a Greek female singer (who I do not want to mention here) went for a live Concert in Cyprus and when the fans found out she was singing playback,started leaving the stadium.They knew from past Dalaras concerts and the perfect performances he had,especialy in Cypriot songs,and were let down!

The facts is,that George left the night clubs realy early and his live performances were mostly in concerts.So he tried for the best result possible.Also his choices in musicians were very good,something you can only do if you are a musician yourself.Most Greek singers are just singers and know litle or nothing of music...pitty

The phrase "...or sound terrible" above is not the continuation of Lynne's text but of Sarantiis that said in his last phrase before,"...then sound just OK live..." refering to ather singers.We just happened to reply together with Lynne to Sarantiis and her reply was posted first.I agree with everything she said

Kosta, you make a very important statement..."Most Greek singers are just singers and know little or nothing of music...pitty "...Kosta,this is very ,very true..You see a lot of singers coming up in Greece but very few real musicians like Dalaras.He is one of the few who knows music ,plays an instrument while singing and has an incredible voice...The rest seem more concerened as to what leather pants they are wearing,or what fancy haircut they need to wear to appear on stage..The sad fact is most of the other singers do not know anything about music or can even play an instrument.....

Sarantis said:

"plays an instrument while singing"

No my friend.

I was watching a video last night. He has his guitar on and plays and sings. During the same song he grabs the baglama, with the guitar stiil strapped, put the guitar behind his back and plays the baglama while singing. Then leaves the baglama, and plays the guitar again.

So, two instruments.

PS: As I am writing this post, while neglecting to do my job as usual, the radio plays Latin. Ain't that cool? You got to love the Internet

Soc, that is nothing!!  I have seen Dalaras play a guitar,bouzouki and a baglama all at the same time while singing and working a crossword puzzle and cooking a five course meal at the same time......Then he walked on water...DALARAS IS THE MAN!!!!     he,he,he   (now top that)

Yeeeees ladies and gentlemen,we are now completely out of order!!

Dalaras madness...yap,it's true now...I see it clearly...! :yes:

Ah, Chris, you don't know me yet... I censor my posts carefully or I'd get kicked off the forum for being foul-mouthed and swearing! And LOL!!!

I'm a barbarian after all. :)

And, as was proved today in three different topics, a criminal as well. :biggrin:

I like. You know me.

I was quoting a British Viking - which might explain the difference.

Actually I like fan-f'n'-tastic even better.

Geeska, Soc,Chris   i dont know how you guys (and gals)managed to turn the topic "He is even better in concert" ,into a topic that  would make a sailor blush..Can we return the topic back to Dalaras....You guys are "un frigin beleavable"......."can we fu@#$@%ing  focus" , LOL

Όταν λείπει η γάτα, χορεύουν τα ποντίκια

One moderator is packing for the big journey, and the other hasn't showed up in months.

And the mice are dancing

As we started saying all the irelevant stuff,I'll say the last word and then I'll get back to the real topic!

I'm hearing right here and right now on cd the "Una Moneda le di" sang live in Frankfurt and recorded in cd under the title "Live and unplugged"!Yes he is great!

So back to main topic! Has anyone something to say.....?  :biggrin:

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0