Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Christo

An English cd

18 posts in this topic

This message is for Chris

Chris what was that again you mentioned earlier from another post that there is a possibility of Dalaras to sing in English and when?

Will this be of some Original Material like the Anna Vissi's English Cd? Or will it feature cover material from previously released songs?

This should prove very interesting as to what Dalaras would sound like singing English and promoting it to the US Mainstream Pop Media Market.  I have already heard him sing 2 songs in english and needless to say they were both very good but also somewhat disappointing.

And that is only because of the genre styles in that of the Latin, Italian, Hebrew, Cypriot, Jewish, Spanish, and of course Greek, he sings them all perfect with no trace of an accent.

However, English is far from the Mediterranean Romance Languages and comes from the old Germanic Languages. Thus, this means it has given Dalaras a heavy dialect while singing in English.

I had noticed it from his pronounciations.

And this of course is thereby almost as bad as some of us trying to sing in Perfect Greek with no American, Canadian, etc., etc., Accent.

No Offense please!

However in all do retrospect, whatever and whenever Dalaras decides to sing those songs in English, I know I will like it and just like all the rest of the new material, it will again  take some time to adapt to this new dimension of his.

Tell me, why Dalaras chose not to participate in Stings Desert Rose?  This would have been a perfect match for Dalaras to improvise on a 'Amane'  Taximi!

or Ad-lib an Acapello Solo.

Was Desert Rose to have been introduced on the new cd Asphaltos Pou Trehi? Or was this song to have been performed live recently when Sting sang in Greece?

I can't believe they didn't have time to rehearse this. Hopefully, the next colloboration they do together will feature this great hit.

And then most importantly, hopefully it will be soon!

I've only heard him sing the one song in English from the Music Box with Ian Anderson, and although I enjoyed it, I think I would prefer him to stick to Greek Music.  Maybe becuse English is my language!

As for the unmentionable A.V. she shouldn't sing in English either.  Personally I believe that the only people that bought her CD in English were Greek speaking anyway, and she will not break in the UK/US market in this way.

How many foriegn artists have made it big in English - very few.

No Georgios should stick to Greek.

I'm always afraid to be disappointed when I put on a new CD (or open a new book). The more I love the artist, the more I'm scared!

When I got "I asfaltos...", it took me all day to get up my courage and actually play it.

IF Dalaras ever does a CD in english, I will probably take me at least a week.

But if his accent is quite noticeable, as he is such a perfectionnist, he is not all that likely to do it, is he? And the commercial reasons would not appeal to him - not to HIM, I HOPE!

And honestly, compared to Greek, English is f-ing unpronounceable! (No offense meant - it's a language I dearly love - but!)

Chris,even Dalaras is allowed one mistake in his life..Again please dont bring her name up again.I really ,really cannot stand her..Excuse me i have to run and throw up.....sarantis

Dalaras the name that you don't want us to mention is a very attractive woman...I wouldn't consider it a mistake if I had an affair...:yes:  also, she has a nice voice. Her repertoire is something else...

Nikola, I agree with you (concerning the voice [about her appearance it is difficult to judge as I know her only from the covers and there she looks always different :)]).

The problem is indeed Vissi's repertoire. At the beginning of her career she interpreted very beautiful songs (even the early songs by Karvelas were very nice). Later on the situation unfortunately changed.  Although even today sometimes you can find among her songs very beautiful ones. (E.g. I loved "Vre kouto" from the first moment I have listened to it and I still continue to love it. One of my favorite laiko songs of the past 5-6 years!)

May I get slightly off topic in another direction and ask: has Dalaras ever sung in French?

There is ample precedent among Greek artists - and Greek music is surprisingly popular in France... Like they've 'adopted' some Greeks.

Well, do you think there is a chance he might?

I'll tell you why I wondered about this: because suddenly in the middle of a song Dalaras reminded me of Jacques Brel (an old childhood favourite of mine). Dalaras has the better voice and is a much more complete musician, but here is a... well, something that reminded me.

Dear me, what is this I read about Dalaras possible former lovers???? Please, reassure me Nikolas or someone else that we aren't trying to emulate the gutter press...

Siya Siya

re Dalarikos

Mi Varas.

Ma den ine kai toso oskimi, it could have been worse like madonna etc.,

Besides, need I remind you this is on open topic and were aloud to comment freely to one another without insulting each other.

And your forgetting that Dalaras started off Vissi's career anway!

Well his private life is d-n well his own!!! And none of our f-n business!!!! (Sorry, I was kinda shocked...)

To catch onto a more interesting point, isn't it the case that Dalaras has started many of Greek artists in their careers?  

I just found out that this song is known...to bad! :)

(Edited by Apostolis at 11:34 pm on Aug. 3, 2001)

Apostoli

Unfortunately, you didn't discover America...:)

I have this song from the Music Box...

Nikola, you should add the songs that the Music Box includes and you should add them to Dalara's diskografy!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0